Gornergrat, Zermatt, Switzerland Travelogue
About the Travelogue
Welcome to the Day Three of the Travelogue of my Switzerland Trip and here I present to you my Travel to Gornergrat in Zermatt.
This is a must visit place for any of you should you enjoy watching Tollywood (Telugu Regional in India) movies. These movies at least most of them would have romantic numbers from one of these regions.
But before I get into details, have you read my travelogues on Day One and Day Two, if not already, do read them in the links above.
Coming to this trip, the original plan was to visit Mount Titlis but the weather was not appropriate as per the website and i had to change plans and off I went towards Visp.
Gornergrat is a rocky ridge of the Pennine Alps, overlooking the Gorner Glacier south-east of Zermatt in Switzerland. Gornergrat is placed at 3089m / 10,135ft (ASL).
Gornergrat also boasts to be the highest open air rail network in Switzerland and is a part of the Valais Alps.
It also offers one of the best panoramic view of the Alps where you can on a clear day view as many as 29 four thousand meter peaks which is a highlight of this place.
How to get to Gornergrat
Here is how to get there using the SwissTransportSystem: Basel – Visp – Zermatt – Gornergrat. Embedded is a map to help you plan.
As I was staying at Basel, it was roughly a 4.5 hrs train ride and was wonderful as has been over the last few days.
You can read on my Travel and Stay options in Switzerland for a detailed review of the same.
As I have shared in my previous blogs, I have purchased a Swiss Rail Pass for a smooth travel in Switzerland.
A few scenic clicks on way towards Visp.
You take the SBB train going towards Interlaken OST, change in Bern to board the IC train going towards Brig and get down in Visp.
You take the train towards Zermatt from here and as i was going towards Zermatt from Visp, the ticket collector offered to help me buy the Gornergrat Train ticket and also offered me the map of the region which i readily accepted.
You need to come out of the Zermatt main station and proceed to the Gornergrat Bahn Railway by swiping your ticket / travel card that you have purchased to enter the train platform.
The train from Zermatt to Gornergrat runs with an interval of 20 minutes
Main Attractions in Gornergrat / Zermatt
Gornergrat offers you beautiful views of Matterhorn but there is more to add to this wonderful destination. A few must visit recommendations are as below:
- Village Tour, Zermatt
- Gornergrat Railway Station
- Gornergrat Observatory (this place also has a hotel that if time permits, you should stay overnight)
- If you are a Ski enthusiast, you can opt for the Matterhorn Ski Safari and tarvel via Rothorn, onwards over Riffelberg, the Theodul Glacier, Trockener Steg, Matterhorn glacier paradise, Breuil-Cervina, Testa Grigia and finally back via Stafelalp to Zermatt in the evening
- 5-Seenweg is a 5 lakes walk which is medium difficulty hike spread over 9.3 kms and takes around 2.5 hours and on a clear day offers you the reflection of Matterhorn in the lake and should not be missed
- Should you be visiting this place in summers, Gorner Gorge is a must visit place walking over wooden platforms to reach the beautiful scenic gorge
- You could also opt for the Glacier Express that starts at Zermatt and travel until St. Moritz through mesmerizing Alps and fascinating towns and takes around 8 hours to complete
Amenities at Gornergrat
Gornergrat has all amenities that we would need to have a comfortable travel to this wonderful destination.
You have coffee shops at the railway station and also restaurants and gift shop in addition to Skiing rental / purchase outlets.
Mesmerizing Clicks from Gornergrat
Hope you have liked my travel story.
So this was my another mesmerizing journey to Gornergrat and I would be writing on my next travelogue to Mt. Titlis, until then, this is Srikanth signing Off..
Do follow me on Social media and encourage me to go on more trips and share back my stories with you.
Twitter / Facebook / Instagram / Pinterest
Until my next blog-post, this is Srikanth signing off.
Like my journey? Pin It!
2 responses to “Day Three: A Day Trip to Gornergrat, Zermatt, Switzerland”
Switzerland is on the top places on our travel list. Your experience has motivated us to fly here as soon as possible, thanks
nice writeup, great detail of Gornergrat…