I am writing after a long time and a delay post my Everest Base Camp Trek. While it has been a wonderful trek (did I mention that it’s getting crowded and has a increase in number of people littering the Himalayan region), well that’s the plight of any tourist destination as it gets popular.
Any trek needs you to plan two aspects:
- Your trek bag
- Your physical preparation
In this blogpost, I will talk about what’s required for us to pack so we can ensure we have the best experience.
First, you need to identify which is the type of trek you are planning for? This would give you a fair understanding of what needs to be taken..
Types of Treks:
- One Day treks
- Overnight treks
- Multi-day treks
Before packing, once you clearly understand your trek type, you should be looking at selecting your backpack depending on what you like to carry (Pro Tip: Trek as light as possible)
Specifics for Everest Base Camp
Everest Base Camp trek is considered to be among the medium difficulty for people with good endurance but might get to be a tough trek for someone who does not have much of an experience in trekking in the Himalayan region.
We did most of our trek gear shopping at Decathlon in Hyderabad, this has most of the gear that you would need.
List of Trek items
Now coming to what you would need:
- Trekking pants / Shorts convertible
- Breathing inner wear
- Down Jacket
- Fleece Jacket
- Raincoat / Poncho
- Water and windproof gloves
- Socks (thin and wools)
- Trekking boots
- Trekking Pole(s)
- Sleeping bag (-5/0 degree, can be rented in Kathmandu)
- Sleeping Liner (to be used inside the sleeping Bag)
- Rucksack / Teekking Bag (Most of the trek companies provide this, so do ensure you check with them)
- Day Bag ~20Ltrs
- Ear plugs
- Knee caps
- Ankle bands
- Woolen cap / balaclava
- Sun hat
- Sun glass with UV protection
- Sunscreen (30 SPF)
- Lip balm (30 SPF)
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Wet wipes/ hand towel
- Shampoo, conditioner and soap (should you want to shower in between)
- Washing powder
- First aid kit
- Hand sanitizer
- Toilet paper
- Odomos Roll-on
- Thermos Water Bottle / Lifestraw Go Plastic Water Purifier Bottle, 650ml (Blue)
- Water Purification Tablets (not required if you have Lifestraw Go)
- Camera/mobile and earphones
- Power Bank (20,000 mAH)
- Solar Power Panel Power Bank
- Trash bag
- Portable charger
- Snacks / Snickers / Energy Bars (make sure you have loads of them)
- Fast and Up tablets
- Notebook and pen
- Power Bank (20000 mAh) / Solar Panel for charging
Pro tip: you should actually attempt to do the EBCTrek without a trek guide only if you are a seasoned trekker who is well versed of what it takes to trek carefully in the Everest / Himalayan region.
A trek is fun when you go to get lost in the lap of nature and leave the world behind…
While the list is exhaustive, I am capturing what I did carry myself along with the items carried by my better half.
- Only carry something that you absolutely need on your the trek
- Carry limited clothes after studying on the trek path and the weather conditions in the month you visit – we just carried a pair of trek pants and T-shirt’s for the 13 day trek
- Carry reusable water bottle which provides with a filter- Himalayan region offers the best natural water sources through streams and tap water. Don’t litter Himalayan region using plastic water bottle
- Carry a day pack for your essentials like energy bars, water and toiletries
Read through what the famous blog also recommends on the Everest Base Camp Trek here
Our experiences – Everest Base Camp
- We had been to Everest Base Camp through a Trek company, they provided us duffle bags
- Carry day bags with rain cover in addition to our ponchos
- Pack light to ensure we do not overburden ourselves and the porters
- Ensure you know how to pack your trek bag as that would help you balance out the weight all through
Head over to my Instagram / Youtube Profile and do follow me for more amazing road trip / travelogues.
Should you like my travelogue, please take a minute in sharing your feedback / suggestions / query as a comment to this post which would be a major motivating element for me.
Like it? pin it to read later 🙏🏻